At a recent potluck for a Vegan 101 meetup, someone brought an amazing gumbo using this recipe that I just *had* to have. Try it out, you’ll be happy you did! Happy Fat Tuesday!
New Orleans Gumbo, Vegan Style!
- 1 cup Earth Balance margarine
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 48 oz frozen vegetables (I used a “vegetable gumbo mix” my local Kroger had that consisted of okra, corn, onions, celery and red peppers.)
- 2 (14.5) oz cans fire-roasted tomatoes, with juice
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning (I used Tony Chachere’s)
- 3 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 8 cups faux chicken broth
- 2 (8 oz) packages faux Italian sausage, crumbled (I used Gimme Lean)
- 1 (10.5 oz) package faux shrimp (I used Vegetarian Plus)
- 8 cups cooked white rice
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Once melted, add flour and stir constantly until a roux has formed. Continue stirring the roux constantly over medium heat until it is light brown in color; this could take about 15 minutes.
- Once the roux has browned, add the vegetables and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add seasonings, mix well, and cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add broth and crumbled sausage to the vegetable mixture and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and continue to simmer for 15 additional minutes.
- Serve over rice. Enjoy!